Wednesday, February 28, 2007

And the nomination goes to....

Jerry Seinfeld gets my vote to be next year's Oscar host. His presentation Sunday night was the most entertaining two minutes of the whole broadcast. Ellen Degeneres was fine, but I only found her to be mildly amusing. All of her bits seemed sooo scripted. Another idea could be to have a team of hosts. I would enlist Jack Black, Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, and maybe Ben Stiller for the job. Of course, that might make it too much like SNL goes to the Oscars.

In general, I thought this year's Oscars were very boring. That might have something to do with the fact that I had hardly seen any of the nominated pictures. Still, there were very few surprises. The articles I had read beforehand accurately predicted the winners, and few of the winners seemed surprised. At least last year there was the rap group that won for best song. I wasn't a big fan of the song or anything, but those guys were genuinely excited.

Then, there was the whole love affair with Al Gore thing. What does it mean for the Oscars to "go green" anyway? Did the stars walk from their mansions? Did they rent fewer limousines and carpool? I seriously doubt they biked to the event in their tuxes and formals. Movie stars and politicians are really good at spouting slogans that mean absolutely nothing.

Oh, and I never will understand why they don't let the Oscar winners give decent speeches, but they have time for a million montages and weird dance numbers.


So, will I watch the Oscars next year? Probably. I have a hard time breaking with tradition, and for some reason, I enjoy filling my head with trivial award show information. I just hope the Academy takes my advice and hires a really entertaining host. Maybe then I'll stay awake to the end.

1 comment:

cmonroe said...

For some funny insights into the Oscar's "going green", this year, I highly recommend this James Taranto post from earlier this week.


http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110009720