Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Not Ready for the Landfill Just Yet

Occasionally, a kids' meal toy can have great play value. A couple of months ago, I got the girls lunch at Chik-fil-a, and they received glider kits for their prizes. None of us were overly excited about the kits, and I stuffed them in the car, figuring they'd probably get thrown away. Of course, I forgot about them, and Steve came across them Sunday. (He tried to give them away to other parents at church, but there was only one taker.) Today, I decided to open up a kit to see if it was worth anything, and it basically contained three paper airplanes and a cardstock model of the space shuttle Columbia. I realize that the monetary value of the toy is negligible, but those airplanes can really glide! The girls and I probably played with them for about an hour after lunch. Even Elinor was entertained, tolerating her high chair for much longer than usual.

I guess it just goes to show you that something that looks worthless can have potential. I wish the same could be said for the toys the girls got at Sonic a couple of weeks ago. What is a reasonable amount of time for a parent to let her child keep a green plastic bone keychain before sending it the way of most fast-food prizes?

1 comment:

Tanya Thomas said...

We've a few of those keychains ourselves. Sadly, I find I can't throw any away until I have all 3 collected otherwise there's a fight...